Umbraco deployment issues: ClientDependency error gone with debug=true on IIS7 (SOLVED)

by Damiaan Peeters 10. October 2011 13:39

Problem

So you have downloaded the latest Umbraco from (http://umbraco.codeplex.com), created a new database and FTPed it to your webserver.  But the login screen doesn’t look like completely correct.  And if you log in, nothing is working and it doesn’t look right…

If you can identify you problem using the screenshots below, then read on!

image

and after you log in this screen:

image

A “quick and dirty” solution is to open the web.config and set debug=true.  This solves the problem.  To be honest, not even a littlebit – it is a WORKAROUND!  You just turned off a lot of the features that the ClientDependency framework gives you, e.g. SPEED in the back-end.

image

The cause, if you need to believe the forums are the writing permissions. So you probably end up activating the “network service” as app pool owner and giving full control to the application.   But even that didn’t solved the problem.  Otherwise you would not be reading here.

Is you are struggling giving permissions, is advice you to use WebSitePanel, it’s a free .net based control panel.  It creates separate windows users, creates separate IIS Application Pools sets writing permissions for us. 

Cause

It is the ClientDependency handler which is NOT FOUND (404 error).  You can see that if you look into fiddler.  That means that you are missing (combined) JavaScript and CSS files, which are pretty necessary for the Umbraco administration.

image

Solution

Kudos go to a colleague of mine (Raoul of opmaat.be), he has found the solution. 

Probably you are missing a complete section in your web.config file.  For one reason or another this section is missing in the WEBSERVER section.

Locate the System.WebServer section and verify you have a “httpHandlers” section.

image

If you have already added handlers (or installed packages which do so: e.g. imagegen) then copy the handlers section from earlier in your web.config.  Otherwise you find the default webServer.Handlers section below.

<handlers accessPolicy="Read, Write, Script, Execute">
 <remove name="WebServiceHandlerFactory-Integrated" />
 <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactory" />
 <remove name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" />
 <remove name="ScriptResource" />
 <remove name="Channels" />
 <remove name="Channels_Word" />
 <remove name="ClientDependency" />
 <remove name="SpellChecker" />
 <add name="ScriptHandlerFactory" verb="*" path="*.asmx" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
 <add name="ScriptHandlerFactoryAppServices" verb="*" path="*_AppService.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Script.Services.ScriptHandlerFactory, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
 <add name="ScriptResource" verb="GET,HEAD" path="ScriptResource.axd" preCondition="integratedMode" type="System.Web.Handlers.ScriptResourceHandler, System.Web.Extensions, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31BF3856AD364E35" />
 <add verb="*" name="Channels" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.api, umbraco" />
 <add verb="*" name="Channels_Word" preCondition="integratedMode" path="umbraco/channels/word.aspx" type="umbraco.presentation.channels.wordApi, umbraco" />
 <add verb="*" name="ClientDependency" preCondition="integratedMode" path="DependencyHandler.axd" type="ClientDependency.Core.CompositeFiles.CompositeDependencyHandler, ClientDependency.Core " />
 <add verb="GET,HEAD,POST" preCondition="integratedMode" name="SpellChecker" path="GoogleSpellChecker.ashx" type="umbraco.presentation.umbraco_client.tinymce3.plugins.spellchecker.GoogleSpellChecker,umbraco" />
</handlers>

No Network connectivity - TCP Autotuning in Windows Vista

by Damiaan Peeters 4. April 2008 01:01

Problem

When i installed windows Vista, Live Messenger (and various other applications) where not working properly. They could not connect to the internet. 

Using the Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool might help detecting any problems at home networks.  It did for me.  I found out that my router is not supporting "Universal Plug and Play" (UPnP).

Solution

A long story short:
Apparently the problem is the TCP auto tuning feature of Windows Vista.
On technet I found this: "Network connectivity may fail when you try to use Windows Vista behind a firewall device".  It helped.

Conclusion

Although everything is working for now, our router is still not "up-to-date".  I'm consider buying a new router.

Who.I.am

Certified Umbraco, .net and Azure developer, seo lover. Magician in my spare time.

Month List